Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The "Good" Man

Last Sunday during service I mentioned, almost in passing, the danger of a worldview that is gaining steam in the world around us.  It is a worldview that has as one of its foundations the idea that people are basically "good."  I know that sounds like a nice idea -- and it is an attractive idea.  So, you might be asking what makes it a dangerous idea?  Well, here are a few thoughts on that.


The first reason it is dangerous is, as I mentioned on Sunday, that it is in direct conflict with the Bible.  A fundamental concept of the Bible is the idea of fallen and sinful man.  In fact, Jesus told us in no uncertain terms that "no one is good -- except God alone."  See Luke 18:19; Mark 10:18.


The second reason the good man is a dangerous idea is that it leads us to believe that man has the capacity to create his own perfect world.  For thousands of years men have dreamed of creating the perfect society.  One philosophy aimed at creating such a "Utopian" society would start with the elimination of ownership of private property, and ultimately lead to the end of government and everyone just getting along.  Its a "nice" idea.  Its called "communism."


When I was younger I used to really love the song "Imagine" by John Lennon.  But the premise of that song is that religion (including Christianity), government and private property ownership are the causes of conflict in the world.  (Imagine there's no heaven ... no country ... no possessions").  Its still a beautiful song.  But I personally have trouble listening to it anymore.


The third danger of the idea of the "good man" -- and maybe the most important -- is that the good man doesn't think he needs to be saved from anything.  The good man doesn't think he needs Jesus.


The good man chases after philosophies that say he himself is the key to his own happiness and salvation.  The good man believes that life is about discovering himself.  The good man may even be taught that he is his own god.


It is no secret that the church is in decline in America today, and I think the church bears some of the responsibility for this trend.  But, I also think that church attendance is declining primarily because Americans, in increasing numbers, are buying into the idea that people are basically good.  And basically good people are willing to gamble with eternity.  The gamble is this:  If there is no God they lose nothing by living life the way they think is best.  If there is a Christian God, certainly He would not be so unjust as to punish basically "good" people just because they don't believe in Him.


And, while that sounds nice, for me and my house, I will serve the Lord.


"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."  Romans 12:2. 



    

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tahnk you Pastor John. Your wisdom is a refreshing breath in these times.Marie and I have started a singles small group at Shady Grove and our first lesson seris is "Driven by Eternity."We love and miss all of you at Heartland but we know that this is where GOD has us now. Continue to write and I will continue to read and comment sometimes.

Unknown said...

Good words John! I see you have really grown and have a hunger for the truth. Keep on doing God's good and perfect will for you and I will too. Love you brother!

Pastor John's Blog said...

Thanks Michael. I am so glad you are enjoying the blog. We love and miss the two of you as well. I hope you will come by soon for a visit. It is ALWAYS good to see you both. Please give my love to Marie.

Pastor John's Blog said...

Hey James. I so appreciate your continued encouragement and support! Love you too! Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Excellent points. I always enjoy your blog, but this one is especially good. <3

Blog Archive