Saturday, December 10, 2011

I Am Second ... or Maybe Third

Most of you are probably familiar with "I Am Second" but, if not, I highly recommend that you check out their web site.  You can find a link to the site on the right side of this page under "links to other sites I like."

The "I Am Second" web site includes a number of compelling video testimonies from people, some famous -- some not, who are trying their best to put God first in their lives.  A few of these people have faced relatively little adversity in their lives.  Most, though, at one time or another found themselves in extremely dark places -- in places where God alone could rescue them.

Lately I have been thinking a good deal about a number of people I know who at times seem to have a strong faith and know the Word of God, but at the same time do not seem to put themselves second or third.  These are people whose actions much of the time -- or even most of the time -- seem inconsistent with a Christ-centered life.  Not that I am by any means perfect.  As I have said before in this blog, just ask my wife!

One of the things that irritates me so much about people like this is that their actions have the very real potential to drive others away from the church and, more importantly, away from God.  When we profess publicly to be people of faith and yet our actions say differently, the potential for spiritual mischief is enormous.  It really is true that actions speak louder than words.

There is a great book out called "unChristian" that resulted from a survey of young people outside of the church.  Among other things, 85% of the young outsiders surveyed viewed Christians as hypocritical.  And, "hypocritical" is exactly what I am talking about.

But there is something even more disturbing to me about these professed Christians whose lives seem to be so out of sync with God -- and that is my reaction to them.  What I mean by that is my reaction is all too often to become frustrated, and worse, to become judgmental.  I find at times that I get so frustrated with the symptoms I am observing that I give little or no thought to the real underlying problem.

At times Christians act unChristian out of ignorance.  Sometimes even people who have grown up in the church are simply unaware that their actions and attitudes are not in sync with the Word of God.  It may be that they are fairly new to the faith, or it maybe because they attended a church that put too much emphasis on God's blessings and not enough emphasis on the responsibilities that go along with the Christian walk.

Sometimes Christians just lack self awareness.  Sometimes we don't have a firm grasp on how others perceive us.  Sometimes we spend too much time telling others how to act and not enough time modeling the Christian life ourselves.

But, much of the time when we see people acting in unChristian ways it is because they are struggling with some significant issue in their own lives.  Sometimes the worries of life -- the difficult job situation, the troubled marriage, the rebellious child -- cause us to lose focus and to act in ways that the Holy Spirit, if we took time to listen, would tell us are just wrong.

When we see our family and friends acting in unChristian ways or carrying unChristian attitudes we have several choices.  We can do nothing -- which is usually the easy thing.  We can be judgmental and condemning of their behavior.  Or, we can "deal gently with those who are ignorant and are going astray...."  This is where things get tough.

Going to our Christian brothers and sisters to talk about their unChristian behavior is a difficult thing.  It takes wisdom, it takes discernment and it takes guidance from the Holy Spirit.

I am not by any means suggesting that as a general matter we should be running around telling other Christians how to act.  In fact, I seem to remember a little story about splinters and planks that counsels against doing that.  What I am saying, I guess, is two things.  First, there is a time and a place -- a season -- for everything.  Sometimes we just need to speak into other people's lives, even if the things we have to say are difficult and unlikely to be well received (at least initially).

Second, we need to have a little grace for people.  You never know what is at the root of bad behavior or bad attitudes.  We often have no idea about a person's past life experiences or even painful things that are happening to them at that very moment.  And, of course, we do need to be mindful of our own imperfections.

By the way, if you enjoy this blog and are or want to be a regular reader I want to encourage you to become a follower or to sign up for my e-mail alerts.  Its easy to do, and then you won't have to stumble on a Facebook post to know there is something new!

God bless, and Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Mike Jorgensen said...

John, thanks for these thoughts. You might be interested in I am Second's first leadership conference. More info at www.wearesecond.com.

Blessings.

Mike Jorgensen, Exec Dir

Blog Archive