Friday, August 12, 2011

Prayer

"Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven.  For where two or three come together in my name, there I am with them."

Matthew 18:19 - 20 (NIV)


During most services at Heartland Church we will take a few minutes and ask the congregation to gather in small groups and pray for one another.  I have to admit that when Pam and I first started attending the church we found that part of the service to be pretty uncomfortable.  Praying with strangers was just not something we were use to doing.  In fact, about the only thing that felt more awkward than praying with strangers was praying with people we actually knew!!

It is probably not surprising, though, that over the years I have come to appreciate this prayer time in our service.  Maybe more to the point, over the years I have come to appreciate the power of prayer itself.

I cannot tell you how many times I have seen God minister to people in incredible ways through prayer.  I cannot tell you how many times I have seen people come into church weary and burdened, but leave church at peace because God touched them during our time of prayer.  I cannot tell you how many times I have seen prayers answered.

Reading the promise that Jesus will be with us when we come together in prayer is one thing.  But, to see that promise fulfilled week after week is truly amazing.  We have a great prayer team at Heartland, and I for one thank God for their dedication and service.


Yes, I believe in the power of prayer.  And, I believe that all of us need prayer -- both in the good times and in the hard times.


I am sure you know a lot of people who for various reasons are in special need of prayer right now.  I have made a list of first names that come to my mind below.  (Please forgive me if I inadvertently left you off the list.)  If you are reading this blog and you believe in prayer, I would appreciate it if you would say a prayer for these folks.  Don't worry about not being able to be specific -- God knew their needs before anyone asked.  Please also feel free to add names to the list.


God bless.


Karen, Linda, Tim, Jana, Tom, Thomas, John, Ben, Jackie, Kim, Steve, Susanne, Morris, Cindy, Hammond, Renee, Victoria, Hanna, Amy, David, Anthony, Art, Retha, Beth, Paula, Bob, Judy, Brian, Charlotte, Jacquie, Doris, Gerry, Jennifer, Marsha, Nicole, Becky, Rebecca, Melvin, Gerald, Brenda




"Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. 14 Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. 16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."


James 5:13 - 16

No comments:

Blog Archive