Thursday, August 18, 2011

Freedom From Religion

Most of you are probably aware of a recent event at Reliant Stadium in Houston called "The Response."  Apparently, with over 30,000 people in attendance, Texas Governor Rick Perry and others prayed publicly for our nation -- a nation in crisis.

Prior to this time of prayer a group called the "Freedom From Religion Foundation" filed a lawsuit in federal court claiming that Governor Perry's participation in and endorsement of the event was illegal.  The plaintiffs in the lawsuit apparently alleged that they were “nonbelievers who support the free exercise of religion, but strongly oppose the governmental establishment and endorsement of religion, including prayer and fasting, which are not only an ineffectual use of time and government resources, but which can be harmful or counterproductive as a substitute for reasoned action.”


I checked out the web site of the Freedom From Religion Foundation, and I have my doubts that they actually support the free exercise of religion.  They are avowed atheists, and seem to condemn "religious people" as small minded and laud themselves as "freethinkers."


People can get really passionate and involved in a lot of things -- including a lot of really strange things.  I guess that's just part of human nature.  Everyone has to be excited about something.


When I was younger there were people known as "Dead Heads." These were people whose lives revolved around attending Grateful Dead concerts.  I guess a lot of people really get into rock bands, movie stars and sports personalities.  When that passion turns to obsession we call those people stalkers.  Still other people get into collecting bottle caps, balls of string or other oddities.  When collecting oddities becomes an obsession we call those people hoarders.


I think I understand passion and even obsession, but I have to say I just don't understand why anyone would want to spend any significant part of their life promoting atheism or, looking at the other side of that coin, condemning Christianity.  I just have to wonder what must have happened in the lives of those people to make them so fixated on trying to convince the world that God doesn't exist and that religion is evil.  It's just really hard for me to imagine that those people can't find a more productive use of their time.


And, why the hate?   I just can't see how Christianity is such a threat that people feel the need to spend their time and resources trying to force the Pledge of Allegiance to be rewritten, the words "In God We Trust" erased from our coins and currency, and Bible-inspired monuments removed from public places.  Why is it that no one blinks an eye when entertainment personalities push liberal agendas, but Tim Tebow (Denver Broncos) gets ripped for being outspoken about his Christian faith?  


I don't know whether I will support Rick Perry in his run for president.  But I do appreciate his willingness, as well as that of some of the other candidates, to openly profess his Christian faith.  I also appreciate his willingness to openly pray for our nation.  The people at the Freedom from Religion Foundation want us to believe that prayer and fasting are an ineffectual use of time and government resources, and are harmful or counterproductive as a substitute for reasoned action.


Well, I will take prayer over the "reasoned action" we usually see out of Washington D.C. any day.  In fact, I really believe that prayer and repentance are our only real hope as a nation.      


By the way, what do we call people who are obsessed with attacking people of faith, and particularly Christianity?  On second thought, don't answer that!

No comments:

Blog Archive