Monday, July 25, 2011

The Walk

I left out the garage and started up the side of the hill.  It's a walk I have taken three of four times before, but I had forgotten just how hard it is to get started.  It seems like the first couple of hundred yards are the hardest, and then you start to get use to the incline and the thin air.

At the top of the first ridge there is a barbed wire fence where the property ends.  You carefully step on the bottom wire and pull the middle one up and climb through.  I briefly snagged my shirt, but no harm.  After hiking up a couple of more ridges there is a National Forest, but I don't think I made it quite that far.

I have never seen another person when I have done this walk.  I usually see a few deer, but this time it was too hot.  All the deer are likely higher up where it is cooler.

I went a little farther than I probably should have and not quite as far as I would have liked to.  I might have gone a little further a couple of years ago, but today this seemed like a good stopping point.

From this particular ridge there was a great view of the valley.  Incredibly green trees and green grass as far as you could see.  I could also see patches of snow on the mountains just above me, and the higher mountains in the distance were still snow capped.  A cool breeze kicked up, which felt pretty good.

As I looked around it occurred to me that I was seeing a creation that not even the most gifted human artist could have imagined on his own.  It was a long drive and a long hike to be reminded of God's power and His artistry.  I'm sorry, but I just don't see how all of this could have come about by a combination of random events and selfish genes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good John! I am a bit more geeky when it comes to my thoughts about creation and God's hand in it all. Being a photographer I tend to look at the lenses of the eye and think about how can a naturally occurring element or mineral grow to know about how to focus light in order to see. God gift of sight is amazing and beautiful.

Pastor John's Blog said...

I agree James. I have heard it said that it takes more faith to be an atheist than a Christian. Looking at the beauty and complexity of God's creation really confirms that idea.

Blog Archive