Saturday, June 4, 2011

Sacred Cows, Mavericks and Cowboys.

Before you get too excited just hear me out -- and get your toes out of the way! I like sports as much as the next guy. Actually, that may not be true. Let's just say that I am an average to slightly below average sports fan. I will definitely watch the Super Bowl and the BCS Championship game (although we need a playoff system in college football -- if you want my humble opinion). I will most likely watch part or all of the NBA Finals and at least part of the World Series. The Stanley Cup? Sorry hockey fans -- that's a big "no can do." To me, hockey must be seen live or not at all. Oh, and I do like college basketball; let's not forget that.

If you live in Dallas right now, or if you're just a Mavericks fan, it's a pretty exciting time. The NBA finals can be pretty amazing. I've yelled at the TV on more than a few bad calls (James and Wade can really sell a flop). I have also gotten pretty excited by some of the "down to the wire" finishes. So, maybe this is not a good time for this particular blog. Or, maybe it's exactly the right time. Either way, here we go.

My question to you is: "what does being too much of a sports fan look like?" Obviously, there is a practical issue here -- particularly if you are married. Sports can divide a husband and wife. In fact, any hobby, interest or even a career can divide a husband and wife if one or the other goes overboard. (For men, it seems like there is a fairly limited list of things that usually capture our attention that way -- like eating, sleeping, sports, and ... well, you get the point. I guess these days we need to add video games and the
Internet to the list.)

But, in addition to the "practical" issues, there is a very real spiritual issue here too. The Christian life is supposed to be new and focused. As Paul says in his second letter to the church in Corinth, Jesus "died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again." 2 Corinthians 5:15 Watching sports, as opposed to actually playing, is at the very least a diversion. I will concede that a diversion every now and then is probably a good thing -- especially if we choose diversions that can be used to glorify God.

Of course, at the extreme sports fanaticism can be a form of idolatry.
Colossians 3:1-5 reminds us to set our hearts and minds on "things above" and not on earthly things, and tells us to "[p]ut to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry."

Having said all of this, there is no doubt that sports can be used for God's glory. I have a friend who played baseball in college and now spends a great deal of time coaching his son's baseball teams. I have no doubt that, whether my friend ever mentions God in his role as a coach, he is ministering to the young men who play for him just by his example. In other words, I am confident that he is not just a good coach, but that he is also the salt and light to those young men that Jesus called him to be.

In fact, one man's diversion can be another man's ministry. There is a man at Heartland who spent most of his adult life coaching at the high school level. I cannot even imagine the number of young lives that coach Bob impacted -- and continues to impact today. God gave Bob an incredible platform to reach young men, and I am sure he took full advantage of that opportunity.

But, using coaching as an opportunity to mentor to young men is a far cry from spending countless hours in front of the TV set watching games. I am also concerned about what message our obsession, particularly with professional sports, sends to young people today. There are certainly professional athletes who are of high character and make good role models -- but that seems to be the exception and not the rule. More often the "news" about professional athletes is filled with stories of moral failures and self-destruction. Failures which we, the professional leagues and associations, the television networks and the advertisers are all too quick to overlook. What does that say to our kids?

This what it boils down to for me. I just think that we need to strive to make every aspect of our lives consistent and in harmony with our faith. Even our diversions should glorify God in some way. While there is nothing inherently wrong with being a sports fan, I just think going overboard can be a real problem. Going overboard not only distracts us from our own God-given purpose, but can confuse others about our priorities. Sorry, but I just don't see Jesus wearing a
Mavs jersey. Am I wrong?

Oh, and one last thing --- GO
MAVS!

1 comment:

Joy Kusek said...

Thanks, John. My Dan needs to read this! He goes way over the top because he's such an excellent athlete himself and very competitive! How I wish Verizon would go out more often.

Blog Archive