Saturday, June 25, 2011

Random Thoughts While Driving To Home Depot

I have had a lot on my mind lately -- aside the seemingly never ending struggle to discern between what I want for my life and what God wants for my life.  It has been a week of great blessings -- the birth of Sailor, a hugely successful "Now Camp" for the kids and spending a couple hours with Lynton Turkington, one of our Pastoral Elders, immediately come to mind.  But it has also been a week of a few frustrations, which I won't bore you with.

Anyway, such events naturally lead to a Saturday morning working around the house.  When I woke up this morning I offered to clean the kitchen, but Pam said she was going to take care of that herself.  (I think she was being nice, but I also know that she objects to the way I stack the dishes in the dishwasher.  Either way, I'll have one gold star to go please.)  So, I got in the car, turned my iPod to the "God" playlist, and headed to Home Depot to pick up fertilizer for the lawn and some light bulbs.

As I drove down the street I found myself dwelling on the frustrations of this week.  These are actually frustrations that have been hanging on for several weeks now (and in some cases longer), and which I have been praying about earnestly.  So far, though, my prayers don't seem to have produced anything.  No resolutions, no revelations, no apparent progress.

As I continued on my way, though, a song came on the iPod called "Your Grace Still Amazes Me."  You may have heard it before.  Even if you haven't, you have probably guessed that the song is about the grace of God.

As I drove and listened, I thought about my prayers over the last few weeks.  I don't think any of these prayers have been selfish prayers.  They have been prayers for my family, for direction in my life, for people who are physically sick and in need of healing, for people and families who are in tough places emotionally, for people in financial turmoil and for people in other circumstances who just need God's touch right now.

But, as I listened to this song about God's grace it occurred to me that, while there was certainly nothing wrong with any of these prayers, God has already done more for us than any of us should ever have expected.  I was reminded that God has already done more for us than any of us deserved.  Jesus shed his blood as the perfect sacrifice so that we could gain the greatest gift of all -- reconciliation with God for eternity.  The Cross was never meant to guarantee that all of our earthly desires -- even the noble ones -- would be met.

So, for today at least, I think I will try to put some of my frustrations aside and focus on the bigger picture.  Instead, I think, at least for today, I will just be amazed by His grace and be thankful.

"Your Grace Still Amazes Me"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNClAJO2tnQ

No comments:

Blog Archive