Tuesday, November 22, 2016

The Most Wonderful Time of The Year ....


I am not quite sure how it happened, but suddenly it was upon us.  Somehow, despite all of the signs around us, Pam and I had been unaware of its imminent arrival.  It had crept up on us as if out of nowhere.  It was as if it had been stalking us, hiding in the tall grass, until it was close enough to pounce.

We felt its arrival at nearly the same time.  It always comes in the form of a now familiar sting.  But neither said anything at first.  I couldn't quite put my finger on it.  I thought it was just me.  When you suffer catastrophic loss in your life grief just comes at times of its choosing.  But soon enough it became obvious that Pam, too, was in its awful grasp.

Thanksgiving was nearly here, and there was nothing we could do to stop it or to avoid it.  And, to make things even worse we learned last week that Jonathan's dog has cancer.  That was, at least momentarily, a crushing blow.

I am not by any means a dog fanatic.  Don't get me wrong, I like the little guys as much as the next guy.  But losing a pet is part of owning one.  It is an inevitable part of the experience.  This is different though.  We are just not ready as a family to let Ulysses go.

I know it is irrational, but I think all of us very early on independently had the thought that losing Ulysses some day would be unbearable.  For whatever reason it just seems like as long as that dog is alive a little part of Jonathan still lives too.

A friend of mine from church today posted a comment on Facebook challenging the idea that "God never gives you more than you can handle."  I am not sure where that idea came from, but it is fundamentally untrue.  In fact, I am not at all ashamed to admit that there have been many times over the last few years where Pam and I had to deal with far more than we could handle.

The Apostle Paul, and many other Bible heroes, also at times faced more than he could handle.  As the Apostle told the believers in Corinth: "We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired of life itself."  2 Corinthians 1:8.

In these times, times when the burden of life seems like too much to endure, I think we either tend to lose our faith or to come to the realization that God truly is our only hope.  And, often words on the pages of the Bible often suddenly have real and new meaning to us.  I know, for example, without question or doubt that I am "poor in spirit" -- that in reality I have no strength apart from God.

Its funny, but many times over the last few years people have commented about how strong Pam and I have been through all of this.  If there is anything I know with certainty, though, it is that whatever "strength" we have demonstrated has been the strength of God -- and not our own.  As the Lord said to Paul: "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."  2 Corinthians 12:9.

I know that there are many others for whom this is not "the most wonderful time of the year."  Some of you, like us, have lost loved ones that make the holidays unbearable.  Some have gone through divorce or become estranged from family.  Some have no family or real friends to spend this time with.  And the list goes on and on. 

I cannot guarantee you that having Jesus in your life will make this time of year pain free.  I do not even know whether the time from Thanksgiving to New Year's will ever be pain free for me or my family.  I do know that, at least for me, going through all of this without Jesus would be impossible.  And, going through this without the prayers and support of my church family would be impossible too. 

 

No comments:

Blog Archive