Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Class of '78



















A couple of weeks ago I had the opportunity to meet up in Bedford with some friends from high school.  I had  not seen most of these folks since the day we graduated in 1978.  Meeting up in Bedford Texas was a little strange all by itself, when you consider the fact that our high school is about 1,400 miles from the site of our mini-reunion.  Bedford Texas is definitely a long way from Whittier California -- and not just geographically!

It was great to catch up, to reminisce about the old days, and just to be around people who had once been a regular part of my life.  It is amazing how quickly time has gone by.  It is amazing how much has changed.  It is even more amazing that, even with the passage of nearly 35 years, everyone still seemed so familiar.

One thing that struck me on this particular day was how many of my old classmates have turned out to be people of faith.  I noticed that on Facebook over the last couple of years as people from high school became my "cyber friends," and that impression was reinforced when this group of people met in person.

Honestly, I am not quite sure what to make of it.  I really don't remember "faith" being a matter of any significance to most of my classmates when I was in high school -- it certainly was not to me at the time.  I wonder whether it was there all the time and I just missed it, or whether, like me, many of my classmates were transformed later in life.  I wonder whether it is a function of us getting older and wiser.  Maybe we are getting to an age where we just better understand the priorities in life.

Whatever it may be, I praise God for what He has done with so many of my classmates.  It is incredibly inspiring.  I also can't believe how many folks from La Serna have taken the time to say a few words of support and encouragement for what I am doing in the ministry.

Another thing that came to mind when we this group got together was the reminder that life is a vapor.  About a week before our mini-reunion, one of the truly nice guys in our class passed away unexpectedly.  And, in the ensuing Facebook traffic folks listed a number of other people in my class who had gone home way too early in life.  It was pretty sobering.

Our time is short.  Which is to say that our time on earth to serve God -- to tell people about the gospel and to disciple believers -- is short.  I will be posting about that again in a few days.

God bless.  Have a great Christmas my friends!

    









1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe they got it wrong in seventh grade. You have a true gift with words. I felt exactly the same way after our get together. Your blog is a blessing to all that read it.
It is very inspiring to know how God has touched the lives of so many of our classmates. For this I am so grateful, especially when we've had to say goodbye to some.

It will be exciting to see the journey that the Lord is taking you on in the coming year. God Bless you and your family. Merry Christmas and Happy New year!

I hope we can get together again in the coming year.







Blog Archive