Monday, November 5, 2012

The Election

From everything I am reading this election is going to be incredibly close.  I guess we are about to find out. Regardless of outcome, I urge you today to continue to pray for our country and for our leaders.

There was a time when, at least to me, it was easy to say that the United States was the greatest country in the world. And, while I am not sure we can make that claim today, there is no reason that we should not be able to get to that place again.  To do so, though, we will have to work together.

Father, I pray that this election runs smoothly, and that the right thing happens for America.  I pray for our leaders of tomorrow and that, whoever they may be, a new spirit of unity would rest on our leaders and on our country.  This election has divided us and produced many scars, so Father I pray for quick healing and for friends and family who have felt the strain of political differences to be reunited.

I pray, God, for the people who were impacted by hurricane Sandy, and particularly those who lost friends and family.  I pray for your peace to rest on those who are suffering, and pray for your healing touch to come upon them.

I pray God that America would repent for turning away from you.  I ask that you convict your church to in greater measure reach out to the lost and hurting in this world; not only to provide for their physical and emotional needs, but remembering always to proclaim the good news about what Jesus did on the cross for us.

I pray for the men and women of the armed forces, law enforcement, and emergency personnel who serve and protect us, as well as their families.  I pray that you would keep these folks safe and protect them in these troubled times.

I pray, God, for those who continue to be stressed financially in this difficult economy.  I pray that job opportunities would open for those who are unemployed.

It is in the name of Jesus that I pray.

  Amen

No comments:

Blog Archive