Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Breathe

I have been really excited about where God has been taking my small part of the ministry at Heartland Church over the last several months.  Our Mens' Bible Study continues to grow.  Even more importantly, the men in the study continue to grow!

Our Wednesday night class -- "The Truth Project" -- has been powerful and thought provoking.  (I can say that because it is a video series -- I am not bragging about anything I have done!).  All of us really need to understand what a "Christian world view" looks like, and Focus on the Family has done a great job explaining that in this series.

And, I am really excited that this Saturday we will be launching a new Women's Bible Study.  A number of ladies in the church have told me they are really looking forward to it, and I can't wait to see God use this study to impact women in a powerful way.

I also have to say, though, that as excited as I am there have been challenges lately too --  both internal and external.  Church work is often messy work.  Real people bring real problems, real challenges, real pain, and real joy.  I am not complaining mind you.  I am just saying that church work is not always as easy as it might look.

And, internally, I have been battling against a bad attitude about some things lately.  To my credit, I did confess it.  I asked for prayer.  I repented.  And, for good measure, my wife (Pam) and Sherry Ferris beat me up about it for about an hour and a half the other day (in the most loving way, of course!).

Oh, don't act so surprised.  We are all (hopefully) growing in Christ continually, and all of us need accountability and correction from time to time. 

What's interesting about this season for me is that even with all the good, the bad and the ugly mixed in, I am just anxious to keep moving forward.  It is such a great feeling to be in a place where I just can't wait to see what God is going to do next.  

Its not that I think all of the problems and challenges are going to somehow magically go away -- I know that they absolutely won't.  What is different right now is that rather than being worried about the next set of problems and challenges, I am ready to embrace them.  Actually that's not quite right.  Pam and I are ready to embrace them together

There is an incredible peace in knowing we are walking in God's will.  It's great to be able to let go of the wheel, let God drive for a while, and just breathe!

Obedience and surrender are difficult things.  We all struggle with them now and again.  I certainly do.  Its a faith thing.

I just pray that the next time I find myself in that struggle I will remember how much easier it is to trust Him than it is to try to do it all myself.

    

2 comments:

Amy Ensminger said...

David and I are having to "Breathe" all the time!

I can't wait until this Saturday @ 7:30am to attend the ladies bible study. I know Damaris & Paula will do a fantastic job and I'm excited about it.

kathryn jankiewicz said...

One thing I have painfully noticed is the more of His beautiful, holy face that I see, the more I am aware of my need for a Savior.

Blog Archive