Thursday, January 12, 2012

21 Days

This time of year it is typical for churches to challenge their congregations.  The new year seems inherently to invite new beginnings, and it just seems like a natural time for pastors to push their congregations to draw closer to God and to make some adjustments in their lives.  This is certainly typical for Heartland Church.

This year, though, seems different.  As a church, we have a great deal to be thankful for.  There are numbers -- meaning a big jump in both attendance and giving.  And, while I appreciate the numbers, that's not really what I am talking about.  What I am talking about is the powerful combination of the Holy Spirit and people who are hungry for God and ready to be obedient to His Word.

As last year closed and we started into the new year, it began to feel to me like God is moving us as a body to a new place.  This year it seems like our congregation is hungrier for the Word and for the ways of God than we have been in at least the recent past.  It just seems to me like the Holy Spirit is moving in a way that we have not seen in some time ... and maybe ever.

Last night as I was preparing to teach, the Lord led me to the 21st Chapter of the Gospel of John, and specifically to verse 15.  This is what it says:

15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?”  “Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”  Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”

16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you truly love me?”  He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”  Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”

17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”  Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”  Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. 18 

John 21:15-18.

As I read this scripture, I began to wonder if during this 21 days of prayer and fasting Jesus is asking us, individually and collectively, this same question:  "DO YOU LOVE ME?"  I wondered whether the Holy Spirit is truly poised to move on our church in a powerful and unexpected way -- waiting only to see that we are obedient and to hear from our hearts.

I have seen evidence of it.  I have seen it in our last two Sunday services -- both in the time of worship and in Pastor Dan's messages.  I saw it last night.  I have seen it Saturday mornings when our men come together.  And, I saw it at the Encounter service last Wednesday night.  


I do not pretend to know exactly what God is doing at Heartland Church.  I can only tell you how I feel. And, the way I feel is excited!  I feel a sense of anticipation.  I feel a closeness in our church family and a closeness to God.

It is my hope and prayer that all of you are taking these 21 days seriously.  I pray that beyond the fasting -- beyond giving up something that matters to you for 21 days -- you are reading, meditating on the Word, and praying more than you normally do -- or, better yet, more than you ever have before.

If you don't attend Heartland Church, I hope you will consider joining us in this time of prayer and fasting.  I really think you will be blessed by it.  I think God will speak to you if you take 21 days to really love Him.

Good things are happening!

2 comments:

kathryn jankiewicz said...

This word has the vibrations of heaven. It is the call going out to the ones who say they are His - "Do you love me?" I have had numerous conversations of late with different people, "What does love look like?" With everything in us, we say "yes" but in our struggle, we seem to fall so flat. But I contend, that even my imperfect attempts to express my love, moves His heart. My mind knows this, during this fast, I am asking for my heart to know it too. Thanks for sharing.

Pastor John's Blog said...

Thank you Kathryn. You are so right. It's not the perfection by which we show our love but the state of our heart.

Blog Archive